Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Purpose & Scope
This policy sets out how we uphold diversity and equality in the workplace. It applies to all employees and sets the standards for how we expect stakeholders such as suppliers and customers should operate.
People are the foundation of what makes Active EMS great. Our people come from a diverse range of cultures and experiences – and the fresh thinking and passion they bring to work every day is a direct result of that diversity. Our approach to business is underpinned by a belief that all individuals should be treated fairly and should have access to equal opportunities, regardless of their status. To attract, recruit, develop and retain the very best people at all levels, we are committed to respecting and embracing talent and working to support a culture that is inclusive and reflective of our vision and values. We also look for high levels of diversity and inclusion in our customers and suppliers, and encourage them to adopt similar philosophies in their relationships with their own employees, customers and suppliers. As part of our social enterprise objectives, we actively seek to engage in a process of knowledge exchange with our stakeholders with regards to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy is based on three key principles:
we promote equality by removing barriers, eliminating discrimination and ensuring equal opportunity and access for all groups of people, both within Active EMS and externally amongst those organisations with whom we have formal relationships.
We accept each person as an individual. Our success and competitiveness are built on our ability to embrace diversity – and we believe that everyone should feel valued for their contributions. By working together, we will deliver the best possible solutions for our people, our clients and our business.
We create a working culture where differences are not merely accepted, but valued; where everyone has the opportunity to develop in a way that is consistent with our vision and values. Our aim is be an organisation where people feel involved, respected and connected to our success.
- No job applicant or employee should receive less favourable treatment on grounds of sex, race, age, ethnic origin, marital status, pregnancy and maternity, civil partnership status, any gender re-assignment, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or part-time/fixed-term work
- Employees should be protected from discrimination by association
- Equality, diversity and inclusion should be promoted within the workplace
- We should contribute to generating similar attitudes to ours, in terms of equality, diversity and inclusion, in the wider community. We will also look for similar principles of diversity when we select and manage relationships with our customers and suppliers
- Fair and equitable treatment should be the hallmark of every aspect of working life at Active EMS, from our written procedures through to every decision we make
- We should promote a culture where employees recognise the value that a diverse and inclusive workforce brings to the organisation, and where colleagues and external associates are treated with dignity and respect
- We should create an environment where anyone believing they have been subjected to discrimination, victimisation or harassment in the workplace, is entitled and feels safe to raise such concerns.
- We are committed to ensuring that the process for dealing with such concerns is straightforward and will be addressed in a compassionate, efficient and timely manner.
The Managing Director is responsible for:
- Reviewing, endorsing and achieving the aims of this policy.
The Active EMS Management Team is responsible for:
- Leading by example in protecting the Active EMS brand and championing knowledge sharing within Active EMS and our stakeholders.
- Recognising their role in being accountable for inclusion and the development of equality and diversity awareness.
- Ensuring that our practices and policies underpin delivery of the equality, diversity and inclusion policy
- Cascading diversity and inclusion lessons learned and sharing best practice throughout the business; and
- Championing key issues and collectively recommending changes to policy, procedures and practices to the other members of the Management Team.
- Ensuring that their people are aware of their responsibilities and receive appropriate training; and
- Addressing any inappropriate behaviour
The Human Resources Director is responsible for:
- Administering this policy on behalf of the Managing Director; and
- Developing and rolling out the supporting strategies to drive continual performance improvement
- Keeping all related procedures under review and monitoring employment practices
- Providing relevant advice and supporting all employees in championing diversity within Active EMS
Employees are responsible for:
- Carrying out their work in line with this policy and associated procedures;
- Respecting the rights of all Active EMS people to work in an environment that is free from prejudice and discrimination;
- Challenging any behaviour that falls short of the expectations of this policy; and
- Identifying any breaches of this policy and reporting them to their line manager
What will successful implementation of this policy achieve?
- Increased awareness, knowledge and expertise, by Active EMS and our stakeholders, to provide a working environment which promotes opportunities for all
- Increased employment opportunities for all sectors of society
- Recognition by external bodies in the form of awards, nominations and accreditations; and
- Continual improvement in quantitative and qualitative trends, across the whole organisation